Monday, 10 October 2011

"That's Kids For You, Isn't It?" "Er... I Don't Know, Is It?"

So, this week's big news (in the world, not my actual life, which is quite boring) comes in the form of the death of Steve Jobs. It's odd how people of different generations react to this news - the majority of my generation are like, "Oh my God, did you hear about Steve Jobs? So sad, technology innovation will never be the same", and then we all hug our iPods ever closer for an added bit of comfort. With my parents' generation, however, I doubt that the majority of them even know who Steve Jobs is. When you think about it (which I do, because my life is boring), technology actually creates a massive divide between people of different ages (when I say massive, I mean slight, but I am embellishing for dramatic detail). For example, when I text my friends it is always with perfect diction, spelling and punctuation. My mother, on the other hand, texts like this: "where R u?!1 x w y y w x y". I mean, I know it's only a text, but a bit of proof reading wouldn't go amiss, would it? And to think she's educating our next generation... Well, I say educating, I came in from work the other day to be greeted by some kind of angel floating in our hallway. After praying that I hadn't been chosen to be the bearer of the second coming, my mother informed me that it was her old wedding dress and she would be wearing it for 'medieval week' at school (waste not, want not, and all that). I think trying to explain the medieval period to children that can't even write their own name is a bit ambitious myself, but there you go. I thought that it was some kind of tradition to hand down your wedding dress to your daughters so they can wear it on their wedding day, but given that this one will probably end up covered in crisps and playdough, I guess I'll be wearing off the rack...

It does bother me a little bit that my generation is no longer considered the 'young' generation; a customer at work the other day laughed as her child flailed around like an idiot, then rolled her eyes at me and said, "that's kids for you, isn't it?" I just sort of gave her a blank look and said, "er... I don't know, is it?" - Have I become of an age where it is acceptable, granted even, that other adults think I have children? Personally, I don't think that, at the ripe age of twenty one, I qualify for this, which must mean that this woman thought I looked a lot older than I am... Bitch. It's not even like I act particularly mature at work, or mature at all actually. The other day I spent a good ten minutes walking around behind the counter pretending to be a pterodactyl. I was doing the legs and wings and everything - my boss just looked me up and down and said, "well, at least she's here..." I was also caught by a customer (presumably not the woman who thought I was 35. Bitch.) shouting, "BACK WHENCE YOU CAME!" at a rogue sausage roll that had fallen off of its tray. I'm surprised we still have so many customers considering how weird some of the staff are (admittedly, mainly me). The other week we were doing sausage tasting and, after being wrongly informed as to what stout was, I accidentally told a significant amount of customers that it was "sort of like a small weasel". We realised (the next day) that stout was actually beer and we had it confused with a stoat, so, if you bought any stout sausage from my work and thought you were eating weasel, I apologise profusely. The worrying thing is, no one seemed particularly surprised to be eating weasel, which leads me to wonder whether or not my work has a reputation for being somewhat 'eccentric'...

No comments: