Monday, 25 April 2011

Goodbye Adolescence, Hello Twenty Somethings

In honour of my turning 21 in about two hours, I thought I would take some time off from my constant stream of studious dissertation writing to write my last blog as a 20 year old. Turning 21 seems different somehow to turning 20... I feel like I am now definitely out of my teens, as opposed to being 'on the cusp' of my adolescence. People often say that youth is wasted on the young, but I think I made the most of being able to look ridiculous and get away with it. You can still sneak out and get drunk in your twenties (and it's still fun), but it is no longer acceptable to, say, wear baggy jeans with chains, or listen to angsty music at full volume on the bus, ignoring the glares of old aged pensioners whilst you hide away behind a punky backpack. These things I took advantage of. I suppose a twenty-something would have to stand up and politely offer their seat away were they in the same situation. It is for this reason I will be avoiding buses from this moment on. I suppose I can finally say goodbye to emotional moodswings, too. Although they have been ever so less prevalent since the latter stages of my teens, they still crop up every now and then. (For example, the other day I was forced to discard one of my PomBears as I got emotional looking into its smiling face and could not bring myself to eat it). Thinking about it, there are a lot of things that are no longer acceptable once you're completely out of your teenage years. Like being rebellious. Who can you rebel against? The biggest thing after your parents is the law, and I'm not sure that's a road I want to go down. Thankfully, I've never been that much of a rebellious person anyway. My mum went out the other night and the highest state of rebellion I reached was having the foot spa on the carpet. (Really though, what a rush).

There are a few good things about turning 21, though. Apparently it is still acceptable to name inanimate objects (Kezia bought me a colourful teapot the other day and handed it over, introducing it as "Thomasina"), so that is good to know. I am also excited about getting a pay rise at work, which I will make sure my bosses do not forget. I don't think more money will make it any more appealing though. Today, I was so bored that I went to help out on the "Tasters Table", which basically consists of standing there smiling whilst people wander up, eat the equivalent of a small dinner, and then leave without buying anything. I'd be annoyed, but usually I have just watched a small child pick something up, lick it, and put it back down, so that gives me a bit of satisfaction. I also managed to create a little bit of entertainment for myself by replying, "No, not at all" to someone who asked if the onion bhajies were spicy. I then watched as they shoved about five into their mouth, chewed for a while, and then gradually started to cry. Speaking of work, there have been a lot of changes since I was last there - so much so that my pride has been dented a little bit by having to ask the 16 year old Saturday kids what I'm doing. Their "haven't you worked here five years?" replies do not help the matter. I was also downgraded to wearing a blue apron as we had run out of red ones. Exclusion at its worst. You know how there was always that one child at primary school who had a different jumper to everyone else with a logo that had clearly been sewn on by their mum? That's what I felt like. However, we are now allowed more breaks, which I have taken full advantage of. It would be nicer if there was a better place to spend them other than the dreaded staff canteen, but you take what you can get. Apparently there is a new "book swap" club in which basically you leave all your shit books in a box and other people take them home. I had a look through it the other day and was shocked to my just-out-of-teenage-years core to see that the majority of them were erotic novels. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't particularly want to read a book that is filled with "fiery, seductive passion" whilst I am on my lunch break. Well, not until I'm 22, anyway.

1 comment:

T said...

You can wear baggy jeans with chains til yr 80, I'll still love you :D