Tuesday, 27 April 2010

"Mum, I Swear, The Haribo Fell Out!... Into Even Piles..."

Today is my birthday. Well, it's past midnight, so technically yesterday was my birthday. Looking around at my presents, I'm wondering if I'll actually ever grow up (presents include a tube of bubbles, glow-in-the-dark stars, and a TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles t-shirt). I sincerely hope not - nothing would pain me more than going to bed at 10 o'clock with a hot water bottle and a rented DVD of Songs of Praise... (I'm not sure you can get them, but if I was old and boring, I'd find a way). I was talking to my sister the other day about stories from when we were little, most of which revolved around stealing food of some sort; edging the biscuit drawer of the fridge open at 5cm an hour in the hopes of carefully taking out a TimeOut biscuit without my mum noticing... We were successful thieves most of the time, but there was the odd slip-up - for example, the time when we opened a giant bag of Haribo and were in the process of sorting it out into even piles (everyone has to have the same amount of fried eggs and gummy bears, obviously) when my mum sneaked into the kitchen after having padded down the stairs with the swift moves of a jungle cat. I'm not sure she bought the whole 'they fell out of the cupboard and into even piles' lie... Getting myself out of trouble has never really been my forte, unfortunately. We also made the mistake of persuading my dad to buy a cookie jar in the shape of a dinosaur that, when opened, shouted to the entire house: 'Mm-mm! Those sure is some tasty cookies!' - not the best thing to happen in the event of a robbery. I recently noticed how bad the dinosaur's English was as well and I think it's somewhat of a miracle that both me and Kezia turned out to be the well spoken, eloquent young women we are today... Thankfully, now we are both in our twenties, creeping around the house with a Twix and two TimeOuts shoved up our sleeves is a thing of the past. Still, other than that, I'm not really sure I want to grow up anymore. And even if I did want to, it's pretty difficult when you have friends like these...


Overall, I've had a pretty ace birthday weekend, and there have been few awkward 'happy birthday' moments... Kezia and I were discussing how socially awkward birthdays can be. I mean, what is the accepted norm when being sung to by a group of people, all surrounding you and staring at you? Do you look at people? Do you sing along? What do you do with your hands?! Thankfully this year I didn't make the mistake of accidentally answering a 'happy birthday' with, 'oh thanks, you too'... It's happened before. More than once.
On Friday night, me, the twins and Paul had one of our infamous nights in and got drunk, complete with birthday cake and a luminous pink wig. I'm not entirely sure how the wig made its way into our lives, but it was definitely welcome. On Saturday I went to see ASH with Peter and they were pretty amazing and I had an ace night, despite spending about 40 minutes before the gig trying to find Leeds Met student union and seeing near enough the entirety of Leeds city centre in the process, and then not wanting to leave in the middle of 'Burn, Baby, Burn' and consequently missing the last train home... Still, I got to hang out with Peter loads over the weekend and it made me a bit happier after Thursday's traumatic events, i.e. Jayne flying off to tit around in Spain for three months. I cried more then than I did at The Lion King and Homeward Bound combined, and that's really an achievement in itself. I reckon she could give Watership Down a run for it's money as well...


Not much has happened since my last blog, which is quite upsetting as I am apparently in my prime and have not updated for three weeks.... Although, my exams are all finished now, which I suppose is a pretty big event after weeks (days) of stressing. My three hour Literature exam last Thursday was one I was especially glad to see the back of. I ended up only writing about five pages and then leaving after an hour and a half - the invigilator thought I was having a toilet break and tried to accompany me out of the door until I politely informed them that I was actually going home to down a 2 litre bottle of Strongbow... I got the bus back to Bradford shortly afterwards in an attempt to avoid any people coming out of the exam and describing their infuriation when they had to wait a few minutes for their third answer booklet. I was hoping when I was on the bus something amusing would happen at someone else's expense to make me feel better, for example a person standing up from one of the flip seats and then sitting back down, only to find the seat had retracted and as a consequence end up on the floor. It's never happened to me... it happened to a friend of mine... ages ago... she live's in Canada and you don't know her.... *ahem*


Next week I'm starting my WorkBasedLearning placement, which, judging from the meeting I had today, actually seems pretty good. However, the taught element of it is extremely tedious, as I discovered earlier when I was made to fill out a stupid "swot" table. For those of you that are lucky enough not to have experienced the "swot" table, it's basically a grid with four boxes labelled 'StrengthsWeaknessesObjectivesThreats' (S.W.O.T., get it?) that you have to fill out in regards to your performance within school/uni/a workplace. Unfortunately, I can never seem to think of any weaknesses and end up having to sell myself short and put some clich├ęd sentence like, 'I find it difficult to manage my time...', which is untrue. In fact, I'm rather excellent at time keeping... It's hard being this humble, really.

No comments: